PickensPlan

A great device, politically, to gain support for something, is a stump speech. A stump speech gains its title because people, in the olden days, would go to the town aquare, stand on a stump, and deliver a speech. I think this is a great way to gain attention for our cause, and to organize support for it. I would like to post some things, such as some famous stump speeches, directions to write a stump speech, and a famous passage from William Shakespeare's play "Julius Cesar" famous for its great use of political rhetoric. By utalizing this art with people all around the nation, we can gain support for Pickens plan, and make real change.

Writing a Stump Speech: Your Central Speech Idea

It is very important to know what your central idea of speech is. The stump speech has as major goal to unify and to get the audience to act on one special issue. So, imagine you are a candidate, what is your message, your mission statement, your vision? Write it down in a maximum of 15 to 20 words. Absolutely no more. Remember, writing a stump speech is writing a message about an issue that you the public speaker chooses and you think the audience must remember.

Done? Now the next step in the speech writing process. If you are assigned to be a public speaker who must give a political stump speech, you can use my suggestions for elements and turn them into powerful speech topics. Only choose for speech ideas and issues you like. Or take pet peeves that well-fit:

Describe the situation you want to change, improve or perhaps strenghten - the big picture.
Tell where the existing situation leads to.
Explain why and how.
Describe what your opponents want, and why that's wrong.
Tell what you want to do about it, how you want to achieve your goal. What are your solutions, plans and proposals?
List the people who support you and believe in you.
Offer a step-by-step how to plan. What would you change or do first, and then next, after you take office? This is a perfect opportunity to formulate a three or five point plan to reach goals.
Urge your public to vote for you and repeat the mission-statement.
Provide educational proofs to construct your claim. That is the basis of every persuasive and informative special occasion speech. Offer them:

1. Facts, figures, statistics and expert testimonies. Research while writing a stump speech rather surprising not well-known facts than facts everybody knows.

2. Concrete examples.

3. Personal stories and anecdotes.

4. Vivid descriptions.

5. A catchy analysis of the issue's political aspects and dimensions.

6. Quotes.

Famous stump speeches include...

Nelson Rockefeller's "the brotherhood of man, under the fatherhood of god" to help his presidential campaign

Joe McCarthy's speeches accusing innocent democrats of being communists

Famous speeches
prev page^ home ^ next page >> Friends Romans Countrymen
by William Shakespeare

Julius Caesar
Act 3, Scene 2,

The "Friends Romans Countrymen" speech is a great example of a good speech.
From the start the first three words fit into the rule of three a technique not fully identified for a few hundred years. This was perhaps my first experience of a the power of a good speech - the ability of a speaker to convince an audience of their point of view. I particularly love the way in which he is able to turn the word honourable around to in fact mean dishonourable. I always chuckle when I hear British Members of Parliament talking about their Honourable Friends".

Mark Antony:
Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him;
The evil that men do lives after them,
The good is oft interred with their bones,
So let it be with Caesar ... The noble Brutus
Hath told you Caesar was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Caesar answered it ...
Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest,
(For Brutus is an honourable man;
So are they all; all honourable men)
Come I to speak in Caesar's funeral ...
He was my friend, faithful and just to me:
But Brutus says he was ambitious;
And Brutus is an honourable man….
He hath brought many captives home to Rome,
Whose ransoms did the general coffers fill:
Did this in Caesar seem ambitious?
When that the poor have cried, Caesar hath wept:
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet Brutus says he was ambitious;
And Brutus is an honourable man.
You all did see that on the Lupercal
I thrice presented him a kingly crown,
Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?
Yet Brutus says he was ambitious;
And, sure, he is an honourable man.
I speak not to disprove what Brutus spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know.
You all did love him once, not without cause:
What cause withholds you then to mourn for him?
O judgement! thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason…. Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause till it come back to me.

Note his continuation of the sarcastic remark "Brutus is an honorable man" and using Cesar's death to rouse the people, as well as his political rhetoric.

Please, show me your stump speeches, and I'll attatch mine.

Tags: Stump, alternative, energy, organize, politics, speech, support

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Man O man! That gave me chills! Thanks so much Dan for posting this most incredible speech. This came from back in the day when the process of education was really education and actually produced men who could think for themselves and men who could communicate their deep beliefs and personal convictions so as to both inspire and LEAD others.

"Give me liberty or give me death!" Now that's a level of personal integrity that you just don't see anymore.

And, Greg, thank you for starting this discussion. I look forward to seeing more speeches on here.

May we always desire to play a better game and create a better tomorrow (for everyone!).

Monte
Howdy
Thanks, all of you. I'll be posting my stump speech that I wrote. I'm almost done, and I hope you all like it, keep posting!
Smart guy! I'll take your challenge - What stump will I speak to? - Don't know yet - I'll be back!
All the best,
Kathy
Hi Greg,
Took a little while to get here, but I made it.

Hmmmm......very interesting. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to write a speech. I just give them off the top of my head (Wing it). I own a business in Mich., go to college, and maintain my home myself (Including my organic garden) - Not much extra time.

I tell everyone I can about the plan and give them as many facts as I can.

Thanks for the invite! I'll be back to read your speech. - Lyn
Lawrence,
What a guy thanks so much again chris
It seems to me that you need to create the electronic stump separately from the Pickins Plan and link such "issues" to the stump. Your key attraction would be the fact that the participants invite the interaction of the audience, much as would the old fashion stumpers.

This kind of social networking could identify leadership but not necessarily make leaders out of the volunteers who are willing to put their character, reputation and lucidity on the block for inspection. You would be well advised to consider getting your own network operations for such actions as the potential need to exercise censure, editorial and audit are almost certain powers you would need to execise if the presentation were to catch on.

Don't despair if you aren't the techie type. There are systems that you can aquire that will allow you to do this from the comfort of your own homw without having to hire expensive engineers.

The historical perspective of stumping an area to win converts is very interesting, bu tyou must recall that all Internet communications are virtual. That is, the web's boundaries are marked by the accesses tou can gain to servers. Some nations, (like China) routinely censure all "undesirable" messages. Others, like the one we are most familiar with in the USA, simply investigate 'potential' trouble makers and maintain secret files on them in case they need to be "taken into custody."

Alignment with an official political party generally means divorce from their opponents as this is the general attitude of those organizations in the United States. You are either for them or you are against them. No neutrality accepted. No, if you are asking the national network media isn't neutral. Enuff, said there.

Yours is a new world. Perhaps the lack of defined borders on the Internet can be used to introduce potential leadership to each other globally. Are you the host, moderator or antagonist? Think it over, and keep us posted. To conclude, the Pickins Plan is too narrow a focus for this grand idea. Perhaps you can get started here, but it certainly can't be a home for a idea this big.

-- Mickey

RSS

© 2014   Created by PickensPlan.   Powered by

Badges  |  Community Guidelines  | Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service