Highlights of our concerns pulled from past discussions. (Seems, in review, that we were more focused prior to election – with planks and points and purpose…btw).
1. Insurance companies are making money at the expense of American’s health.
They made 5 times the profit of oil companies last year.
• - CEO’s are making in excess of $20 million a year while denying coverage to those who need it. Insurance companies are fully responsible for the mess that we are in and are doing nothing to help but only to compound the issues and lying to the policyholders because they know we “have to have insurance” – controlling EVEN the amount that doctor’s are allowed to charge self-pay patients by saying they can’t offer discounts less than the discount given to them in network savings.
• Insurance companies are increasing their pressure to control what services a patient receives – taking over the decision making process (away from the patient and physician) by frequently denying services and medicines.
• Pharmacuetical companies have inflated the costs of drugs to Americans while discounting them to other countries all under the guise of research. This has to stop. Fair payment is fair payment for all.
• Premiums and co-payments go up every year while at the same time payments (reimbursements) to physicians and facilities go DOWN every year. The “charge” amount by facilities and physicians are not real as insurance and Medicare determine beforehand what each service is worth so facilities and physicians have no control over the “COST” of healthcare. For example – an office visit cost $65, ins says it’s worth 36, patient pays $25 co-payment, insurance only pays $11. But tell the patient “costs are up?”
• Premiums should be more like auto insurance – with positive and negative effects based on personal responsibility. You smoke – it goes up, morbidly obese – it goes up, treated for suicide, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, etc – up. As with insurance – somethings should cause you to be denied regular insurance and pay higher rates. Drunk driving – you have to sign up for high risk insurance , so consequently –drug abuse, suicide ? should be treated the same way.
• Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should any illegal citizens be allowed coverage. Illegals who show up for medical care – can receive up but INS must then be responsible for deporting them so they cannot continue to be a drain on the system without paying into it.
• Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should retired or disabled military pay anything for healthcare.
• Tort Reform: Malpractice insurance goes up EVERY YEAR – thanks to suit happy lawyers and patients who think they can sue any and everybody for any stupid reason with no personal accountability. I.e. – suing a physician because you develop complication during a procedure which was a direct result of you being at risk because of your poor choices in life – smoking, drinking, obesity, not taking care of risk factors, and general non-compliance with your own healthcare.
Universal Healthcare – Majority are against any system that limits quality of care and access to quality physicians. There were some very good arguments for a ‘variation’ of Universal Healthcare that included accountability, tort reform, and called for REASONABLE premiums that even the poor could afford.
Another idea was the tax (cost of insurance) to be built into a national sales tax so that everyone pays into it.
So here is the best summary I can come up with for our E-Party Universal Healthcare:
1. Healthcare is offered and available to EVERYONE.
2. Management of Healthcare – is NON-PROFIT!
3. Payment to the physicians will be fee based on a schedule similar to the fee
schedule currently used by commercial insurance but higher than medicare as the
current medicare fee schedule won’t even pay for a physician’s overhead. We
DEMAND a great deal from the people we trust with our lives – they should be
reasonably compensated for the hours of training and hours on call, as well as
overhead expenses to provide care.
4. Physicians MUST be RECREDENTIAL – or REQUALIFY no less often than
every three years and ACCOUNTABILITY must be by peers and Medical Board
– NOT HOT SHOT LAWYERS AND LAWSUITS!
5. We do NOT WANT THIRD WORLD MEDICINE – with restricted access to
necessary care such as annual mammograms, diagnostic testing, etc.
6. Paying for it:
A REASONABLE portion funded through sales tax.
The rest should be PREMIUM paid based upon a percentage of income (can be
obtained through yearly tax statements)
7. PENALTIES (increases) in premiums should be added when EXCESSIVE
personal abuse is documented. I.E. – suicide, drug or alcohol abuse, fraud or
misuse of the system (such as obtaining p*********** drugs only to sell them on
the street), MORBID CONTINUOUS obesity NOT directly related to a
diagnosed issue (such as thyroid or hormones issues).
8. No COSMETIC SURGERY will be paid unless it is reconstruction for injury or illness related amputation.
9. Disabled and Retired Military personnel should NOT be subject to the tax (they can present a card as business and non-profits do at the time of
purchase) and are exempt from Premiums.
10. We expect WHATEVER healthcare is offered that our CONGRESSMAN AND SENATORS AND PRESIDENT – have the SAME THING! No more special golden packages. THEY MUST LIVE WITH THE LAWS THEY MAKE!
11. LONG TERM NURSING HOME CARE – This was not discussed much
– so I’m throwing this out there for you to feed on: -
Qualification for nursing care should be broken into three categories based on the ability to recover.
Long Term care with rehab designed to get the patient back home.
Hospice care in the home (theirs or their childrens) for the terminally ill or
permanently disabled with DNR status. *Substantially less costly than nursing home care**.
Minimal ACCESS with STRICT guidelines – permanent facilities for indigent and homeless with no where else to go who are terminal or permanently disabled and UNABLE to do anything for themselves (such a severe stroke or brain damaged).
I believe FAMILY should be required to provide a home for hospice care if there is family! Hospice care can take much of the hands on daily burden away from the family members but the family can provide the roof and bed and food – at least!
OKAY - HAVE AT IT! Please make points specific to a particular # or issue. Remember we are looking for SPECIFIC PROBLEMS and SPECIFIC SOLUTIONS to present to our President!
Add, delete, amend....Go for it!